I'm a Designer!

It is exactly one month since I came back from Europe. Well, probably coming back is not a good word to use since Singapore is not my country. But I set a goal to build my life here. So, I guess I can say coming back after all.

I came back with a vision, and full of hopes and targets to fulfill. First off, I need a job, a related job of course. Other things are such as building a social life here and start contributing to my family. When I reached singapore, I realized that most of my colleagues already started working. Honestly, I felt the peer pressure. My first meeting with them is in one of the weddings. Everyone seems to be exchanging name cards and I'm the only one without one. I have to keep my heads high so I was joking to everyone saying why not I copy my student card and give it to them. After that, I felt like it's time to step up my job hunting and I am seriously looking down on myself because I'm spending parent's money still.

The first turning point came when I met up with my Professor. He is helpful enough to distribute my Resume to all his connection, which in his case a huge network of managers or hiring managers. I have confidence he would help me of course, but I never thought my Resume would be firm enough to be short listed for interview. But it came really quick. In summary, I screwed up like 7 interviews. When I mean screwed up, I mean those technical questions. So i really start to doubt myself whether I do have the ability or not to work in Singapore.

I can only say luck is with me. On last thursday I was called up for 2nd interview with STMicroelectronics, the first company that I was called up for interview and the same company that i screw them up last time for my internship. At first I didn't I know it was a second interview. I thought it was more like another interview for another position since I knew I did really badly for my first interview. Also, the person who called me up for the 2nd interview is a different person, and his Chinese-accent English wasn't really clear. I asked him if it's a different interview from the previous one, he said yes. So I prepared damn freaking hard for the interview, reading up the technical stuff again and again especially those part where I'm weak at. When the interview started, the interviewer pop questions about my previous experiences in Bosch, focusing more on the interpersonal issues such as communication with ridiculous colleagues. About 40 mins of interview without a single technical question. After that part, she said she was done and I was stunned, thinking perhaps my chances are over. But then she told me to stay in the room as the HR needs to interview me. Then came the lady who called me for the first interview, Jane. Jane was nice and she put up a very friendly smile, by far the most friendliest smile in all the interview. Of course, I was told to smile as well, so I return a big smile. Our interview session was more like chatting, where she get to know me better asking questions based on what I've scribbled in my resume. Then she ask me if I have any questions, but i told her not really. Then she start telling me about the basic salary and benefits if i were to be employed. Suddenly I was so excited. Just when I thought she would present me with a contract, she said she will notify me the next day.

I was excited the whole day I couldn't sleep. Ok maybe i should speed up things here. Yes I am offered a job. The job according to the manager sounds very interesting, plus I think the salary + benefits is very attractive. I don't know what is the market value, but at least it is higher than my expectation.

Whatever it is, at least I have secured a job!

But way before I received my first pay, I am already starting to think about the things I want/need to buy. Gosh!


0 comments:

top