To be the Bosch



Well since I'm not that Emo today, I will blog about my work environment. To intro abit, In my life I have worked for 4 different parties before. First my parents. Haha kinda unofficial work. I have worked part time in a Law firm, which i do almost everything except a lawyer's job. Then Fraunhofer Institute, though one of the renowned research institute in Germany, but I can say I was kinda slack over there. Then now Bosch.

Okay before I talk about Bosch, let me talk about work. Erm, just to clarify first, I am only an intern student despite calling this work. Now working life. First of all, very systematic. I have been actively using Microsoft Outlook now, which I've never do so in my life. Normally when I install Microsoft Office that bundles together with Outlook, I'll just remove it. I prefer to check my mails via internet page. I never had my own organizer or calander anywayz eventhough I am using a business phone. Now, even invitation to have an ice-cream from my supervisor is done using Outlook Calender. Same goes to Basketball with colleagues, or meeting one on one with my supervisor despite him sitting just next to me. I never felt so organized before. Oh but well, it's total different thing when I come home haha. I have to keep reminding myself what to do next. But good thing is that Windows 7 comes with the sticky notes which is quite useful.

Alright, now Bosch. Well despite still being kinda Alien in the office, I like the environment of Bosch. I tend to feel that they're some sorta CIA or FBI lol. First day itself I was given a short brief on security while working. Everything inside is confidential, we're not even allowed to take pictures of anything inside. Oh well I guess that's how the big firms do their stuff. Then, every software is protected and apparently I still can't log in to the WWW yet from my office as my account hasn't been approved. I have to log out of my screen whenever I go toilet or get a coffee. I am not suppose to bring anything in or out of Bosch without permission. Every email i send to the outside world has to be encrypted, and each person is given their personal encryption key. But of course, I have never used my company email yet as I don't deal with customers.

Despite having super tight security especially to the outside world, internally everything is kinda slack. Me and my colleagues are free to do whatever we want, of course about work la. So far I don't feel any stress or pressure yet, despite being very super noob in the office. Man, their like super engineers, seems to know everything, every programming language, every EDA tools and even their theory are super strong. I am just a noobie! I love the European working culture too. I need to fulfill 35 hours per week (actually it's 38.5 per week since they automatically deduct 45 mins from my daily working hours). But it's up to me to plan how I want to work. Basically I can work 10 hours a day and then take off on Friday. But of course, since I'm under supervision and only an intern, i can't just take leave like that. I am however allowed to if I have a reason. Right now I have 4.5 extra hours from the last week as I work quite long hours. Another thing bout them is coffee. Average we take about 1 1/2 hours of coffee break time, on top of our normal lunch hour. Despite being so slack, why are they so top of the world? One word - Efficient!

About me. I am given a workspace of course with a stationed laptop with a TFT monitor, only a 15 inch one. My startup will be on Windows based, but connected remotely to Linux based server. I work on Matlab so far and I will be working on Cadence Schematic/Layout Design soon, as well as Verilog modelling and it will all on Linux. I am a total noob in Linux, so i guess it's time to learn. My thesis will be mainly on Delta-Sigma Analog-to-Digital Converters, from system to subsystem to transistor level. Difficult but interesting stuff. Mainly for Automotive application.

Well, language is still a barrier for me despite having some basics in German. So its still hard for me to survive in the company thus far. I hope things will get better soon.

Invented for Life!

0 comments:

top